I had no idea how powerful a tool Twitter could be for me as a teacher! So I am going to share a few bright ideas on how you can get started on Twitter and begin to change the way you think about professional development.
1. First, set up your account. A great app that answers a ton of Twitter questions and gets you started is TweechMe. It's a perfect little manual for the big wide world of Twitter!
2. If you don't already follow your favorite blogs and educational publishers, that is a great place to start! There is a world of ways to find resources and learn more about educational subjects just at the tip of your fingers!
3. Follow your favorite educational authors! Twitter is the most amazing way to interact with and learn from the best! You can find book studies and twitter chats that are based on the author's writing and allows you to connect with wonderful teachers from around the world! There is nothing like tweeting with author's and asking them your burning questions! Best professional development around!
3. Lurk...then plunge! Hashtags (or as some of us remember, the pound sign...LOL) is a great way to see what people are saying about just about anything that you might be looking for and is a perefect place to start when looking for Twitter chats. There are some great hashtags such as #edtech and #edchat that are full of fabulous tweets and people to follow.
Once you have found a Twitter chat that you want to explore, don't feel bad for just watching the chat happen! I was pretty intimated the first few times that I joined in on Twitter chats and I think the only thing I am have said was HI! When your ready...JUMP IN! Have fun, share your thoughts and don't forget to add your hashtag to your response (so everyone can see your tweet)!
4. If you want to watch and participate in more than one chat...and yes, you will become addicted and become a pro and want to join every chat you see...LOL....
Tweet Deck is a great website that will allow you to view and participate in several chats in a super easy, organized way! More to come on that next time...
I have set up a Pinterest board- Twitter for Teachers for my new fave way to connect with tons of tips on how to become a Twitter master!
I truly hope that you enjoyed this bright idea and I would love for you to joining me on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest for more fun ideas!
Check out the other amazing authors in our link up this month: