Thursday, July 7, 2011

Classroom Helpers and Jobs for Everyone

Classroom jobs are essential to fostering a cooperative classroom environment. The students take ownership of their classroom and it become accountable to each other for their contribution to the class.  In my classroom there are several ways to participate and lend a helping hand. 

At the beginning of the year, I go to the teacher supply store and purchase several sets of small note cards. I place them on binder rings and then place those on a hook with the heading of the job. Each ring has a note card with each students name on a label (much easier than writing out each set of cards). At calendar time, I flip the note cards and assign the jobs accordingly. This system has worked out well because the children generally have a job everyday and the kiddos feel that it is fair. 
  

Our Classroom Jobs
Line leader-first person in line
Door holder-second person in line
Caboose-last in line
Lunch Kit Monitor- carries the lunch kits to lunch and recess)
Station Manager -help students that aren't sure what to do during literacy stations/change the station chart  at rotation time
Hand Sanitizer Monitor- Gives everyone a squirt before snack and lunch
Teacher Helper (2 students)- helps pass out papers/pick up papers
Calendar Manager- Makes sure that calendar is ready for the day
Pencil Sharpener- Makes sure that their are several sharp pencils for our class
Homework Helper- Checks to see if everyone has their homework and books
Hoovers- Help keep the classroom clean and tidy
Chair Checker- Stacks and unstacks chairs for their classmates

I am also planning to add Zoo Keeper to my long list of jobs so that all my reading buddies can make their way back to their home in our classroom library (Thanks Mel!)

As I have been getting ready for next year, I have come across some really great ideas! This classroom jobs chart was too cute not to share!


 {Source http://learningenglish-esl.blogspot.com}

Drop by
to joi in on the linky fun!! Thanks Mel!

9 comments:

Thinking in Primary said...

Thanks for sharing! What a great idea to make sure that all students get a turn for each job!

☺Jody

Camp Kindergarten

One Room Schoolhouse said...

My jobs list is with my calendar time on the smartboard. Everyone in the class is assigned a number. One page in my morning calendar time has a list of each student's name, number, and all of the jobs. I use the random number generator in the smartboard file to select the jobs. The students like this because it is fair. They no longer get mad at me, because I didn't pick them. They get mad at the smartboard, which doesn't last very long.
LifeInSpecialEducation

Clutter-Free Classroom said...

Great list!

❤Jodi from...
★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
Helping Teachers Get Organized

Mel D said...

Thanks for joining my linky party. Can you possibly grab my button so your follower know where to go if they want to join the party. Thanks so much! I love ALL of your ideas!
Peace, Mel D
Oh the Places We’ll Go

Gerita Meade said...

Great ideas! Come by my blog and Get my button! Thanks for all of your posts.
http://k5teachermeade.blogspot.com/

Kaylees Education Studio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaylees Education Studio said...

Classroom jobs are a great way to have your classroom run smoothly. I use 20 different classroom jobs in my classroom so every students in the class has a job. You can see the list of jobs on my website.

Classroom job descriptions

gjerziemarcaida said...

Your classroom helpers and jobs are great!
It teaches the students in becoming responsible at the very young age.
Keep it up!
_______________________________

Jobs In Brisbane

MissB said...

I also have a cute job called "Scrap Monster" I ring the bell three times at any time of the day and the scrap monster has to check under each group to see if it is clean. Sometimes I do it twice a day. They never know when it is coming and I do not have to pick anything up!!

Post a Comment