Thursday, June 30, 2011

Building a Caring Classroom


I {heart} bucket fillers!

Teaching compassion and caring to little ones is so much fun (and very effective) when using this sweet and very clever book. If you haven't read the book, it tells all about how everyone has an invisible bucket that needs to be filled. When we do kind and compassionate things for others, we fill their "bucket" and share happiness with those who's lives we have touched. But, if we are uncaring, mean or inconsiderate of others and their feelings, we become bucket dippers. Bucket dippers take the happiness and joy from other people, and in turn, also take from their own buckets as well. 

In my classroom, my firsties did a great job using our buckets to remind each other to be thoughtful and kind to one another. I used a bulletin board and library pockets for each one of my kiddos. Each library pocket had a label with the students name and a picture of that super cute little bucket with the rainbow- colored hearts and stars pouring into it. I had an envelope with notes for them to write special words to their friends. Those notes were used to "fill" their classmates buckets (and mine too)!

We checked our notes on Fridays (while I was passing out our take home folders). It was a great way to end a week!

I plan to do this again but haven't quite decided how I want to display them. The buckets are so darling and the kids would just love their buckets. I was also thinking it might be kinda nice to have them in different places in the room as visual reminders to all the students.

Here are some great links that will help you on your way to a fabulous bucket filling classroom:


      
     Bucket Fillers 101   

                  
  
                Kleinspiration               


Check out the First Grade Brain and her linky party for more fabulous ideas!



4 comments:

Tara said...

I love this book!!! I use it every year!! Works great at any age...I teach 4th grade. It's a great way to start the year off on the right foot. I bought adorable little metal buckets from the dollar section at Target and use those. (don't have a pic...my classroom is closed for the summer:( )

4th Grade Frolics

Dana said...

I love this idea! Can't wait to buy this book and share it with my kids! I'm definitely starting the "bucket" idea in my classroom. Thanks for sharing! (And I feel horrible...I thought I was already a follower. I am now!)

Dana
3rd Grade Gridiron

Mel D said...

Thanks so much for posting my link! You have some great ideas!

Mel D
Oh the Places We’ll Go

Anonymous said...

Hey...Was wondering...how do you keep the kids from getting up during lessons and at randoms times while working to fill a bucket. I can imagine some of my students getting a little carried away. I plan on using the program this school year....any help implementing it in the classroom for hte first time in a 1st grade classroom?

Post a Comment